Thursday, July 21, 2011
Choosing a domain name is an important step to creating a website. It's not something to be taken lightly because it may depend on the ease with which our site is found, its Pagerank and even its positioning as a brand.
Here are some tips.
The name must be:
- Short, if possible a word or two, three or four at most.
- Easy to remember.
- Related to the content of the web.
- With keywords that relate to your content. At least one.
The name must not have:
- Avoid hyphens (-). Provides the confusion at the time of writing, especially when you have to say it.
- Avoid if possible unknown words and spelling uncertain.
- Numbers: are difficult to remember and easy to confuse.
- Long names.
Steps to choose a domain name
1 - Make a list: the longer the better. Start with the names that you like and try out different combinations.
2 - Sort the list: read it aloud. If a name sounds bad, delete it. If you see something that is confusing, delete it. Continues to eliminating names by different criteria such as length, difficulty remembering ...
3 - Check if are free: go to Whois.org and see if the names are free. Always try to get one .com, the best known and used.
4 - Register as soon as possible.
How do you choose your domain names?